Published on : Thursday, December 31, 2020
The commuters returning from their holiday breaks can expect traffic disruption on Wellington’s waterfront until the end of February as work resumes on the city’s new convention centre.
Wellington City Council said Cable St would be down to one lane during weekdays between January 5 and January 29, while Wakefield St would be down to one lane on weekdays between February 1 and February 27.
The lane closures would enable trenches to be dug and pipes installed for the $179 million convention centre, which is scheduled to open to the public in mid-2023.
Traffic management would be in place prior to works starting on both phases, the council said.
There will be lane restrictions and diversions during the road works, which will increase traffic on the remaining lanes.
“Information about lane closures will be managed through radio and social media at the start of the works and throughout the works period.”
Access to neighbouring buildings would be retained for residents and businesses, the council said.
“We want to thank the public for their patience and apologise in advance for any inconvenience.”
Work on the Tākina Wellington Convention and Exhibition Centre began late last year, with the building’s exterior due to be completed by the end of 2022.
The venue is scheduled to open to the public in mid-2023, following internal outfitting.
Wellington City Council economic and commercial manager Danny McComb said steel structures had now been completed on the ground floor and most of the first floor, and had started on the second floor.
That followed the installation of base isolators shortly after the coronavirus lockdown, McComb said.
Excavation and piling work had been completed prior to that.